Shri Gujarati Seva Samaj was established in 1956 and it is registered under The Bombay Public Trust Act as well as under Societies Act. The Registration Number of the Shri Gujarati Seva Samaj is SS-7-34. It was established with an objective of providing Quality education to develop the society. Accordingly, up to now, it has established following institutions to impart quality education at all levels.
- 1) Smt. Champaben Balchand Shah Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Sangli.
- 2) Seth. Shri,Ratilal Vitthaldas Gosalia Gujrati Balmandir School, Sangli.
- 3) Late. Seth Shri Shivaji Punja Kothari Gujrati Primary School, Sangli.
- 4) Honourable Gangabai Shivaji Kothari Gujrati Vidyalaya, Sangli.
- 5) Vidyaniketan English School, Sangli.
In 1957, Matoshri Gangabai Shivji Kothari donated 2 plots of 20250 and 18225 sq. ft. area worth Rs.8,000/- at the heart of the Sangli city at Mahaveernagar along with Rs.13,000 for the construction of a school building. Many members of Shri Gujarati Seva Samaj provided bountiful donations to spread the wings of the progress at the greater heights for implementing various activities of the Samaj. Accordingly in 1960, Matoshri Gangabai Shivji Poonja Kothari High school was started to extend free education.
The idea of starting a women’s college was raised by Hon. Shri. V. S. Page, the then, Speaker of Vidhan Sabha of Maharashtra . It was materialized by Hon. Late Seth Shri. Rasiklal Balchand Shah, The managing trustee of Shah Balchand Ramchand (B.R.) Memorial Trust, Sangli by donating a sum of Rs.1,00,000/- in the loving memory of his mother Matoshri Champaben Balchand Shah. In 1970 , Smt. C. B. Shah Mahila Mahavidyalaya was established with an affiliation to S.N.D.T. Women’s University, Mumbai. The B. R. Memorial Trust again donated a sum of Rs. 50,000/- for construction of Women’s Hostel.
Further expanding the activities of social goodness, the Samaj purchased a land of about 12 acres to lay a foundation stone for the new college building with the auspicious hands of Shri Dongare Maharaj and Smt. C. B. Shah Mahila Mahavidyalaya was shifted from the mother institute to new building in 1986.
Among the Founder Members of Shri Gujarati Seva Samaj are , Honrable Late Shri. Kantila Purshottam Shah (President- 1956 to 1968), Honrable Late Shri. Ratilal Vitthaldas Gosaliya(Vice President- 1959 – 1983), Honrable Late Shri. Ratanshibhai Jethabhai Shah (President 1969-1989) , Honrable Late Shri. Vanechand Premchand Shah (Secretary 1956-1998) contributed greatly for the development of Shri Gujarati Seva Samaj.
The Gujarati Seva Samaj is committed to the cause of social development through access to education, women’s empowerment, cultural activities and awareness and active participation in fulfilling social responsibilities from time to time. Now, Shri. Gujarati Seva Samaj is a reputed and well known institution in the Sangli District and it has acquired a remarkable status in the state of Maharashtra for its contribution in social, educational as well as cultural development of the nation.